• November 26Dec. 13: 1st and 2nd Period Midterm Exams

• November 26Dec. 14: 3rd and 4th Period Midterm Exams

• November 26Dec. 17: 5th and 6th Period Midterm Exams

Welcome Back Matthew Marlatt

Heather Sandefur, Managing Co-Editor

Smyrna, Tenn. 

Heather Sandefur 

Matthew Marlatt is not new to our staff here at Stewarts Creek High School, however he holds a new title as Instructional Coach.  Instead of teaching students, he is helping to instruct teachers.  He has previously taught Central Middle (before it became a Magnet school), Siegel Middle, and Siegel High all when they opened.  He came to work at SCHS because he felt that there was something he couldn’t do at Siegel that he needed to; there was something missing.  Stewarts Creek had openings for teacher mentoring along with the emphasis of the well–being of students.  Since SCHS’s founding, the students have been the focus.  When the position of Instructional Coach was offered to him, he took it.  Now he is in his twenty-third year of teaching which is ironic since he didn’t have any intention of being a teacher. 

Marlatt intended on going to Culinary School which he quickly decided against for the chance to be on the stage.  However, the stage did not seem to want him, so he tried to go into choral instruction (which required too many hours on the piano).  He finally landed on teaching English.  He received his Bachelor of Science from the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga in the Secondary Education of English.  He then went on to get his Masters of Education from MTSU in Curriculum and Instruction. 

Now that he’s been teaching for twenty-two years, he has decided that he enjoys changing how students view education.  He intended to be the dynamic teacher that students deserve, to give students the type of teaching he did not always have.  For Marlatt’s fun fact, he has given us a comedic story.  When he was seven years old, he saw Superman in the movie theater and he went home thinking he was Superman.  When he arrived at his house, he donned a red cape and jumped off the roof of his 12 ft. high garage.  He didn’t break anything and didn’t tell his mother until he was in college. 

Marlatt would like to leave the student body with a piece of advice: remember your time and the fun you had in high school.  Worry about your kindness towards others and not so much the relationships.  That’s what you will want to remember. 

Heather Sandefur, Managing Co-Editor

Heather Sandefur is a junior at Stewart’s Creek High School.  She has been on staff for two years and is currently one of our two Managing Co-Editors. 

Favorite...