• November 26Dec. 13: 1st and 2nd Period Midterm Exams

• November 26Dec. 14: 3rd and 4th Period Midterm Exams

• November 26Dec. 17: 5th and 6th Period Midterm Exams

Scholarly Safety

Katie Beech

With college searching in many student’s minds, it is important to know about the safety and precautions you should take to protect yourself at the college you choose. A major problem on college campuses nowadays is sexual assault. Sexual assault is a very touchy subject that doesn’t get enough attention when it happens. 11.2% of all students experience rape or sexual assault through physical force, violence, or incapacitation. 

Safety Tips 

It is important to be safe and aware during your college years because the scary truth is that some colleges try to cover up their rapes to protect their reputation. When walking around campus, you need to make sure that you are aware of all of your surroundings. If you are aware, you will know if something is off and if something is off, speak up about what you see.  

Whenever you attend parties, a tip is to always keep an eye out for you and your friends. This will not only help you but your peers around you. Also, make sure to only attend parties with people that you can trust or when at parties hang out with people you can trust. This will allow you to not have to worry all the time and have some fun, but when it comes to drinking make sure you drink responsibly and know your limits. 

When a situation comes up that could lead to something bad, make sure that you communicate clearly what you want and don’t want. You need to respect yourself and your body and know that you have the right and power to say “no”. Remember to trust your intuition if you feel that something is wrong. 

How to Intervene Safely 

It is good to know what to do in a situation that you have bad feelings about. Here are some ways to safely protect yourself and others. 

One way for the brave people is to tell them directly to stop. An example of what to say to someone is, “Don’t leave the party with her. She can’t stand up. My friends and I will walk with her back to her dorm.” 

Another way to intervene safely is to distract someone by engaging the person in another situation. An example of what to say to them is, “Don’t I know you from psych class? Can we talk about that exam?” 

The way to intervene for the people that are too scared is to delegate by finding others to intervene with you or for you. You could find your friends to help you or call Campus Safety for their help. 

Statistics 

• 5% of women on college campuses experience rape or attempted rape every year. 
  • The presence of a bystander makes a completed rape 44% less likely. 
  • 72-81% of cases in which a male rapes a female college student, the female is intoxicated. 
  • 60% of rapes on college campuses occur with a perpetrator who is an acquaintance of the survivor, 32% are romantic partners, 8% are strangers. 
  • Women in sororities are 74% more likely to experience rape. 
  • For female rape survivors, 98.1% of the time a man was the perpetrator. 
  • For male rape survivors, 93% of the time a man was the perpetrator. 
  • Perpetrators use alcohol deliberately to render victims more vulnerable to attack. 

These are just a few of the many tips that you can take in order to avoid possible situations that you don’t want to be in. Always make sure to do research about campus police and safety before starting the college to know about your options. College shouldn’t be a scary experience, so try to have fun without losing your state of mind.  

“Need to Talk? We’re Here for You.” RAINN | The Nation’s Largest Anti-Sexual Violence Organizationwww.rainn.org/. 

Webmaster. “Trinity Welcomes First J-Start Students.” Trinity College, www.trincoll.edu/Pages/default.aspx.