• January 9MLK Holiday No School 1/15/18

• November 21Winter Break 12/22 - 1/8

• November 21Final Exams 12/14 - 12/20

Tips for Passing Your Mid-Term Exams

Megan Wood, News Co-Editor

As Christmas break grows ever closer, students from high schools everywhere have many things on their mind. Among them, one of the more pressing thoughts, are midterms. Though these major exams heavily affect our GPA, there are a couple ways to help your testing go smoothly, whether this is your first year taking them or you are an experienced veteran.

As always, the first tip to passing anything is to study, study, study! Though it may not be an enjoyable task, it is one of the best ways to help you remember everything you can for the big day. Not everyone is the same, so it is important to remember to find out what works best for you and use it to your advantage in preparation. However, there are some ways that science proves can be helpful. Spacing out information, or putting it into small chunks, can be useful. Taking sections of a text bit by bit and learning them before moving on and reviewing before starting anything new helps to retain information. Another tip is reviewing before bed. Since the brain strengthens new memories during sleep, studying right before bed leads to a good chance of remembering whatever was reviewed beforehand. It also helps to find details and stories that fit the text to help you remember information better. Never study in the same place, moving around while you study causes the brain to associate old material with new places and creates a stronger memory of the material. Do not forget to practice. Testing yourself on the material by answering small problems or taking a practice quiz is one of the easiest ways to truly know whether you understand and have retained any information.

Getting a good night’s sleep can also be vital in passing your midterms. The recommended time for a good rest is eight hours, but on test nights it is a good idea to go to bed half an hour earlier. Never go to sleep with the test or the material in mind as it can mess with your rest and its quality in a negative way.

When you wake in the morning, make sure you relax. Put on a playlist of your favorite songs to help energize yourself, and in doing so you have begun to wake your brain up to start processing information from the night before. Wear something comfortable that won’t distract or make you focus on anything but the answers during the test. Always keep in mind the environment you will be in and dress accordingly; if you know it’s going to be cold, bring a jacket. If you don’t know, always come prepared.

Always eat breakfast! Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, it is the vitamins and nutrients from that meal that gets the body going. Eating a small meal is better than nothing, but, if able, eat something full of protein like eggs. Many studies prove that breakfast leads to a better functioning mind and body. You are more likely to have higher energy and better concentration. Don’t forget to drink lots of water too. Students who drink water before an exam do 10 percent better than those who do not. Researchers say drinking water helps calm your nerves; It helps distract the student from any anxiety or stress present. If allowed, bring snacks as well. The small bit of food helps you to refresh yourself. The best snacks are healthier ones like fruit or granola bars that can energize you quickly. Bringing things like mints and gun can help keep you awake and focused during large testing periods, so it is always a good idea to keep some handy.

Lastly, it is important to be prepared. Be sure to pack everything the night before and make sure you have extras of everything handy just in case. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Leave yourself some room in your schedule in case something unexpected happens and try to arrive earlier to the test. Never try to cram last minute. The best thing to do is start preparation a week or two before any large test so you will be as prepared as you possibly can.

Though midterms can be incredibly anxiety inducing on any student, there are ways to ease the stress. Being prepared, studying, getting a good night’s rest, having a good breakfast and drinking plenty of water are all effective ways to help better your chances of acing any exam. These are not fool proof ways of course and it is your hard work and effort that determine the outcome of your results. However, after the exams and the stress goes away, there will be a long, well-earned break waiting for you!