• January 9MLK Holiday No School 1/15/18

• November 21Winter Break 12/22 - 1/8

• November 21Final Exams 12/14 - 12/20

Christmas Cheers and Tears

Alena Tarrant, Staff Reporter

They joyful time of the year known as Christmas has its own vibe. It is a time of giving and love. Along with the joyful season comes the legendary movies. Not only are there movies dedicated to the holiday, it has a range of genres. From love to comedy and action to drama, Christmas has it all.

When you think of a Christmas comedy, most people think of Will Farrell dressed as an elf. On November 7, 2003, Elf hit theaters. It became very popular and is still played on TV today. The main character in this movie is Buddy (Will Farrell). He accidentally ends up at the North Pole as a small child and is raised up among Santa’s elves. As Buddy gets older, starts to feel like he does not belong. Buddy then goes to New York, in his elf uniform, on a search to find his real father. He believes that Walter Hobbs (James Caan) is his father due to an old photograph. After a DNA test proves this to be true, Hobbs tries to bond with Buddy, who cause problems in the process.

Another popular Christmas comedy is How the Grinch Stole Christmas. Based on a children’s book written by Dr. Seuss. The man character, the Grinch (Jim Carrey), is an abnormal creature that is green. He lives in a cave on the outskirts of Whoville. When the Grinch was very young, young mayor Augustus ruin his Christmas spirit. during the movie Mr. Grinch is invited to the Holiday Cheermiester. he goes, and all is well until Mayor Augustus proposes to his crush Martha. He then goes crazy destroying everything and goes back to his cave. He gets the bright idea to steal absolutely everything on Christmas Eve. He dresses up as Santa, and goes house to house taking everything. On Christmas Day, the sad Who’s sing a song of unity. This makes the Grinch feel bad. So, he returns the presents and apologizes, and is welcomed to the Christmas feast.

Another genre popular during the Christmas season is drama. Many of these movies consist of a Christmas miracle occurring. In 2007, This Christmas was released. The film is about a mother waiting for her children to come home or Christmas. But they all have lots of problems coming with them. All three of her daughters have problems with their love lives and her sons, except the youngest, are in all involved in the wrong things. Her youngest boy, Michael, wants to sing but is afraid to tell his family. Like all drama movies, the story ends happily, and the family is reunited peacefully.

So, grab your blankets and popcorn and snuggle up in front of the TV. Make sure to watch at least one of these movies for the holidays. Merry Christmas.